Make a Change – Become a Councillor!

Goudhurst Parish Council currently has a vacancy for a Parish Councillor. If you are passionate about your community and want to help #MakeAChange, stand for election as a councillor! We need people from all backgrounds and experiences who reflect their community to put themselves forward for election and #MakeAChange.

Watch the NALC video – Make a Change

Your local (parish and town) council has overall responsibility for the wellbeing of your local community. Their work falls into three main categories:
• Delivery of services
• Improve quality of life for residents
• Give communities a democratic voice

Local councils run numerous services, depending on the size of the council.

Many you will see day-to-day, but some are less known. These include
introducing solar panels, setting up dementia-friendly groups, organising community buses, creating neighbourhood plans, implementing suitable housing, establishing youth projects, managing allotments and open spaces, maintaining footpaths, public seating and litter bins.

As a local councillor you can become a voice for your community and make real change. Local councillors are the champions of their community who invest time in local projects and issues to the benefit of residents and the neighbourhood.
Local councillor responsibilities fall into three main categories:
• Decision-making
• Monitoring
• Getting involved locally

Local councillors attend to local needs of residents, local groups and
businesses, make decisions on local services, collaborate with district and borough councils to adhere to local needs, and progress vital projects to invest in the future of the community.

To stand for election or co-option to a local council you must be:
• A UK or Commonwealth citizen; or be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland; or be a citizen of another Member State of the European Union
• At least 18 years old
• An elector of the local council; or in the past 12 months occupied land or other premises in the area the local council serves (as owner or tenant); or work in the area local council serves (as your principal or only place of work); or live within three miles of the local council boundary

Please call the Clerk, Mrs Claire Reed on 01580 212552 or email for more information.

error: Content is protected